One Christmas Eve: A Satire



A big family was having a Christmas eve dinner at a fancy hotel. As usual, the table was divided into several conversations. One happened between a man and his brother-in-law.

“Thank you so much for treating us, Jack!” Bill offered his glass wine to Jack, who hit his against Bill’s.

“You’re welcome, man. Cheers!” replied Jack. They drank the expensive 1965 Glen McKenna.

“Anyway, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Is this like your family tradition thing? To have dinner together on Christmas eve?”

“Well, not really. I actually got the idea from one of my business partners from the USA. Tomorrow is a holiday and this year’s gonna be ending soon, so why not?”

“Yes, yes, that sounds good. But what is tomorrow’s holiday about again?” Bill asked, his tone a bit mocking.

Jack paused and thought for a while, then he said, “Since ‘Christmas’ has a ‘Christ’ in it, I suppose it has something to do with the God of the so-called Christians. They are celebrating this birth of a baby whom they claim to be their God some thousands of years ago. Well, how absurd is that!” Jack laughed, which is followed by Bill’s laughter.

“Yeah, right! I mean, I’ve seen all the decorations in malls. Just look at the snow crystals, the decorated pine trees, and this old guy in the red outfit giving children presents on a sleight pulled by reindeers. Clearly this is a celebration of winter and stuff!”

Having heard that, Jack pulled Bill’s ear closer and started talking in whispers. “About the presents for the children, don’t tell this to any of my kids. Santa does give them presents; I did!”

Bill pulled away from Jack, his face a bit shocked, but then he laughed again. Jack could not help not to laugh himself.

“Only kids would believe that this Santa is real!” Jack muttered between his laughter, his voice still loud enough only for Bill and him to hear.

After both stopped laughing, Jack checked his watch. It’s time. He raised up from his chair and spoke loudly. 

“May I get your attention, please! Thank you. And also, thank you for gathering here tonight for our first Christmas eve dinner. I don’t know what the occasion means, but when you have a holiday that brings families together, why not follow it? And besides, my online trading business has been doing so well that we can have dinner together here. I know there is a week left for this year, and that we will be gathering again next week for our first New Year’s eve dinner, but let me propose a toast for all of us. For a family tradition that I hope will continue in the coming years, and for the prosperous week ahead in the remainder of this year. Cheers!”

***

By this satire, I don’t mean to offend anyone or abolish any tradition or decorations. I myself have been to several Christmas meals together with my family and I found them to be enjoyable. I also like Christmas traditions like lighting up candles, decorating the Christmas tree, and singing carols. But having known the true meaning of Christmas, I want you to also know and understand it: that it is indeed a celebration of the only God ever known in the entire human history to 

- have been incarnated into our world about 2000 years ago;
- lived like us humans, yet sinless and perfect;
- died on the cross to reconcile us with the Lord and save us from our ignorance of Him (which is what “sin” means);
- resurrected on the third day and appeared to more than 500 witnesses
- ascended into heaven and will come again as Lord, King, and Judge.

The name of this God is Jesus Christ. Christmas is first, foremost, and ultimately about Him. We may have all reindeers and Santa Claus and Christmas trees and giving presents, but if we don’t see Christ behind all those, we don’t really understand Christmas at all.

Christmas is about relating with Christ as who He really is: the Creator and Lord of everything, including our life. Not doing this means we are celebrating only an image of Christmas; it looks like one, but it is not. This Christmas and onwards, look beyond the traditions and fanciful decorations. Look at Christ.

For “the people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone” (Isaiah 9:2).

***

A satire can only do much. To learn more about the meaning of Christmas I mean here, read the following resources:

Comments

Popular Posts